Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Time Out

Welcome back.  I know its been a little while since my last post, but there's been a lot going on.  Nothing special, just busy pushing a desk and chomping at the bit to hit the street again.

My wife and I went to a wedding this weekend and we spent some much deserved time together blowing off steam.  It was good to have fun with friends and family.  It was the first time I had actually had a good time and forgot all my problems in a long time.  I was happy, drank a little too much, but I was happy.  Not because the alcohol, but because I was having a good time with friends and spending time with my wife.

We always get caught up in the daily grind of life.  Chores around the house, bills, work, driving kids to various activities, etc.  Rarely do we take time out to enjoy life.  I like going to weddings, not necessarily for the wedding itself and I hate dressing up, but more for the reception.  Its something we feel almost required to go to; we can tell ourselves we have a wedding to go to and we don't plan anything else for that day.  We don't feel bad about putting certain chores off one more day.  You get to have a good time with friends and family, some whom you haven't seen in a very long time.  And its a happy occasion so it kind of keeps you in a good mood.

We all need to find something that makes us happy.  Something that blows off steam.  Don't get me wrong, weddings are not a hobby of mine and I'm not a wedding crasher.  All of my friends are married now and any weddings I go to are second marriages, but they're still fun.  We need a break from dealing with the daily problems of life.

This past week, my wife (who is a first grade teacher) told me about one of her students who had been molested.  We were talking about it and next thing you know, I zone out and I'm back to that place.  My wife noticed the 1000 yard stare, got my attention again, and pulled me out of it.  The wedding was a nice break, needless to say.

I think this whole incident and wedding, etc. kind of taught me a lesson.  No matter what is going on in your life, make time for yourself and your family.  When you start feeling insane (which may be often), do something to keep you sane.  Even if it helps you forget for one night, it will give you a little refreshment.  Now, I may have drank a little to much, but I remembered the whole night, didn't black out, puke, or make a fool of myself.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that drinking is what made me have fun or help me forget.  It wasn't that, I would've had fun without it, I just have a hard time with self control.  The fun came from the friends.  And don't worry, I wasn't driving.

And remember...

Above all else...SURVIVE

No comments:

Post a Comment